Boeing will be delaying the first flight of the 787 Dreamliner due to stress where the wings attach to the side of the plane. Executives said that the fixes to the 787 would require only a few small parts to reinforce areas of one to two square inches that displayed excess stress in a test that involved bending the wings, but could delay testing by weeks.
All Nippon Airways(ANA), the launch customer for the aircraft, urged Boeing to specify the revised schedule as soon as possible.
The 787, called the Dreamliner, evoked memories of the past glory days of travel…with new improved interiors and the money-saving fuel efficiency to make those looking at the bottom-line happy. Now, the aircraft is being given monikers like 7-late-7, Flatliner, etc.
We recommend everyone that the 787 incorporates a variety of new technologies, including the largest percentage of composite technologies. We don’t think the delays are helping Boeing, but the aircraft, once finalized, will be revolutionary.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Boeing announces fifth 787 delay (dailyfinance.com)
- Boeing 787 Dreamliner delay: Customer reactions (seattlepi.com)
- Boeing delays Dreamliner launch (guardian.co.uk)
- Boeing Dreamliner Almost Not Ready For Takeoff (chicagoist.com)
- Boeing 787 Dreamliner dubbed 7-late-7, nightmareliner, & more (seattlepi.com)